Repair Work at Hollywood Apartment Building Triggers Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Construction workers doing repairs on the ducting for heating and air conditioning inside a unit at a five-story Hollywood apartment building Thursday evening triggered multiple carbon monoxide alarms forcing the evacuation of occupants in at least three units.

Firefighters dispatched at 7:49 p.m. to 7320 Hawthorn Ave., between Hollywood and Sunset boulevards, near La Brea Avenue, reported that a five-sensor gas monitor indicated the presence of hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide, predominately in one corner of the building’s first occupied floor, the Los Angeles Fire Department reported.

“Occupants of three units in the area of highest concentration were evacuated and the units are being ventilated,” said Margaret Stewart of the Los Angeles Fire Department. “Additionally, firefighters are evacuating the units above those, on the second occupied floor.”

A hazardous materials team was dispatched to the location and there were no occupants with medical complaints.